A Case for Oxidation: A potential missed opportunity for D

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 09:25:08 UTC 2018

Please allow me to bring your attention to an interesting
presentation about  choosing a modern programming language for
writing operating systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDFSrVhnZKo

It's a good talk and probably worth your time if you're
interested in bare-metal systems programming.  The presenter
mentions D briefly in the beginning when he discussed how he made
his choice of programming language.

He shows the following (probably inaccurate) matrix.

Lang    | Mem Safety | Min Runtime | Strong Type Syst. |
Performance
C       |            | x           |                   | x
C++     |            | x           |                   | x
C#      | x          |             | x                 |
D       | x          |             | x                 | x
Go      | x          |             | x                 | x
Rust    | x          | x           | x                 | x
Java    | x          |             | x                 | x
Haskell | x          |             | x                 |
Cycle   | x          | x           | x                 | x

It appears the deal-breaker for D was the lack of "minimal
runtime".  Of course D has -betterC and, with 2.079, a way to use
some features of D without the runtime, but he also goes on to
discuss the importance of memory safety in his application of the
language.

I hope we'll see something competitive with DIP25, DIP1000, and
the `scope` storage class, namely *memory safety without a
runtime*.

I'm currently waiting for 2.081 to reach LDC and GDC, and then I
have a few ideas I'd like to begin working on myself, but I never
have a shortage of ideas, just a shortage of time and energy.

Enjoy!

Mike