A Case for Oxidation: A potential missed opportunity for D

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Fri Jun 29 11:57:25 UTC 2018

On 29/06/2018 11:36 PM, kinke wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 11:24:52 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> It is a language feature yes, and it doesn't define /how/ it gets
>> implemented.
>
> That's besides my actual point though (and I haven't even mentioned
> missing class support, which is everything but helping with developing
> against existing C++ codebases).

It was besides mine as well.

> My question is: what do people expect to gain by not linking in druntime
> and Phobos? Is there a feeling the binaries are unnecessarily bloated
> (-> minimal runtime)? Is it making cross-compilation harder (LDC has the
> ldc-build-runtime tool for that)? Is it the cozy feeling that the GC
> won't used at all? ...

Simple, it isn't there to prevent technical issues, it is to remove
mental barriers.

There is a field dedicated to researching this, called Human Computer
Interaction (HCI) and so far, it seems to have been what was needed for
its users.

You and I do not suffer this block. But many do, and it is as hard and
concrete to them as not having actual proper shared library support is
to me.