Is it possible to set up DConf Asia?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Jun 30 01:52:15 UTC 2018

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 01:43:32 Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 01:33:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 30, 2018 01:12:10 Joakim via Digitalmars-d
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Yes, this is about those people, who as that blog post notes,
> >> are wasting a ton of money on an outdated ritual that no
> >> longer makes sense. If you believe the core team and a few key
> >> devs like you need to get together once a year in person and
> >> hash things out, then do that as an offline retreat somewhere,
> >> just don't sucker in a bunch of other paying DConf attendees
> >> to help defray your costs.
> >>
> >> The ultimate question here is what is the best use of the
> >> money that's being expended every year at DConf? Is that money
> >> best spent mostly on hotel/conference rooms and airline
> >> tickets for marginal benefit to most or on actually getting
> >> shit done? I think it's obvious that the model I've sketched
> >> out to Mike above would get a _lot_ more done.
> >
> > A lot of people would disagree with you. If you don't want to
> > go, then don't go. If others don't want to go, then they don't
> > have to go. No one is being forced to go. There are clearly
> > plenty of folks interested in going to dconf, and I expect that
> > it will continue to happen so long as there is such interest.
> > If folks aren't interested, then they won't show up, and if
> > attendance is too low, then presumably, dconf won't be held
> > anymore. However, the interest is clearly there even if you
> > aren't interested, and I don't understand why you would be
> > trying to get folks to stop going when they're very much
> > interested in going and see value in doing so. If all you care
> > about is being able to get online content, then just watch the
> > videos online.
>
> My point is obvious from the arguments I've made, including the
> one you just responded to while ignoring the substance of the
> argument. And not that many people are actually interested in
> attending DConf as presently run, I counted what, maybe 100-150
> people at the one in Munich last month?
>
> If you're going to keep ignoring Marco's and my arguments and
> simply repeatedly state that it's worth it for those who attend
> despite all the flaws, then there's no point in discussing it.
> Clearly the current conference format is like a religious ritual
> for you then, something that must be blindly done regardless of
> any considerations of value.

Those of us who take the time and spend the money to go to dconf consider it
worth the expenditure, or we wouldn't take the time or spend the money to
go. It's our money to spend, and we see real value in what we get out of it,
or we wouldn't keep going. If you don't agree with us, fine, but I don't see
how it makes sense to try and talk us out of doing what we see value in
doing. If you want to spend your time and money on something else, then do
so.

- Jonathan M Davis