Is it possible to set up DConf Asia?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Jun 30 05:36:52 UTC 2018

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 02:34:00 Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 02:23:57 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 30, 2018 02:08:08 Joakim via Digitalmars-d
> >
> > wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > The response is that those of us who have gone to dconf have
> > found it to be valuable. It's not just that we're doing what
> > others have done or that we think that it might be a good idea.
> > It's actually been valuable in practice.
> >
> > Honestly, this is this first time that I've ever seen anyone
> > try to argue that conferences like this are a bad idea. My
> > experience has been that it has been a very good idea, and
> > there are plenty of people out there who attend conferences
> > regularly and try to get others to go because of how much value
> > they see in it (and not just for dconf). If anything, the
> > number of conferences that I've been hearing about has gone up,
> > not down, and plenty of new conferences have started up in
> > recent years (e.g. BSD Taiwan started up last year, the OpenZFS
> > guys have started up a at least a couple of related conferences
> > in the last few years, and RustConf is quite new). If you think
> > that it's a bad sign that we have dconf, then that's certainly
> > your choice, but the arguments that you've presented are
> > unlikely to be persuasive to those of us who have actually
> > attended dconf.
>
> That's nice, but since you present no arguments other than simply
> stating that it's "valuable" or "a very good idea" that's "gone
> up"- why? who knows? That would require actually supplying an
> argument- the 99.9% of D users who've never attended Dconf are
> unlikely to be persuaded that it's ever worth attending DConf or
> wasting any more time with a language that is more focused on
> blowing time and money on that outdated conference format than
> getting work done on the language.

As I stated previously, having people meet in person can be a game changer.
It gives you a different perspective on people and allows for much more
efficient communication in many cases. Some stuff does work best when
communicated online, but a lot of stuff works better when you have people in
the same place discussing things.

It could certainly be argued that we should do more with less traditional
stuff like birds of a feather sessions or other activities that are geared
specifically towards folks interacting, but the talks convey lots of useful
information and ideas, and there's a lot of discussions that go on about the
talks and other topics during the time that talks aren't happening. It would
be a real loss to the D community if we lost that.

- Jonathan M Davis