Is it possible to set up DConf Asia?

鲜卑拓跋枫 hkli2012 at 126.com
Sat Jun 30 08:27:30 UTC 2018

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 14:52:45 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 12:13:09 UTC, 鲜卑拓跋枫 wrote:
>> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 10:50:52 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> I coincidentally just read this blog post, that summarizes a
>>> lot of my thoughts against conferences and meetups:
>>>
>>> https://marco.org/2018/01/17/end-of-conference-era
>>>
>>> Maybe a good first step would be a mostly online DConf geared
>>> towards Asian timezones? I could help out with arranging
>>> those online talks.
>>

>> It seems that people in different countries of Asia may live
>> in different timezone.
>
> So do people in US and Europe, the vast majority of whom
> watching the livestream or online videos didn't attend DConf.
>
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 12:30:49 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 11:54:48 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't, I think it would be a huge improvement. There are
>>> very few benefits to getting people together in person in our
>>> hyperconnected age, and while "key developers in the same
>>> place" may be one of those, that excludes almost everybody
>>> else at DConf.
>>
>> Except it doesn't exclude anyone -- it's not just the key
>> developers.
>
> First off, I question there's much benefit to even the key devs
> beyond communicating through email and video conferencing to
> iron things out, as Andrei indicates he does with Walter.
>
> And Jonathan only mentioned the key devs, so that does exclude.
> As for everybody else, see below.
>
>>> Honestly, getting everybody together in a room and having
>>> them stare straight ahead at a speaker is a blindingly stupid
>>> waste of time these days. The only advantage of everybody
>>> being together in a room is the heightened communication
>>> bandwidth, and then you all sit next to each other staring
>>> straight ahead silently. The conference format made sense
>>> when pretty much everybody attending didn't have high-speed
>>> internet and connected video displays decades ago, but they
>>> make no sense now, as that blog post notes.
>>
>> There are huge benefits to being there in person that extend
>> beyond the time spent listening to the talks. People
>> congregate in the lobby after hours, have three meals a day
>> together, exchange ideas, make new contacts that lead to
>> collaborations down the line... I wouldn't trade the time I've
>> spent at the four DConfs I've attended for anything and very
>> much regret missing the two I couldn't attend.
>
> Then spend all your time doing those things: why waste the
> majority of conference time sitting through talks that you
> don't bother defending?
>
> Here's what a "conference" in Asia or Europe or wherever should
> probably look like in this day and age:
>
> - Have most talks prerecorded by the speaker on their webcam or
> smartphone, which produce excellent video these days with not
> much fiddling, and have a couple organizers work with them to
> get those home-brewed videos up to a certain quality level,
> both in content and presentation, before posting them online.

> [...]

Thanks for further clarification.
But there is still some limitation may exist, e.g., as you may
note that
the latest Linaro Connect that held in Hong Kong add a new
special "China Access" for sharing their conference resources
like below:
http://connect.linaro.org/hkg18/resources/#1506759202543-a2113613-2111

I noted it because I am very interested in programming on ARM, so
I hope LDC
(https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc) could add the support for
AARCH64 as soon as possible:).