C++ launched its community survey, too

German Diago germandiago at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:19:28 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 17:33:52 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 15:52:15 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> https://isocpp.org/blog/2018/02/new-cpp-foundation-developer-survey-lite-2018-02
>>
>> Andrei
>
> I have submitted, already. My major complaints boils down to
> the fact that they refuse to deprecated features due to
> religious like devotions to backwards compatibility support.

Well, not religious but... they are removing things too slow.
There is a paper about stability and velocity of C++ that
proposes to widen things to move forward faster and... btw I
complained about exactly that as well. Things are getting bigger
and bigger, just discard things. I also complained about the
following:

1.- everyone is saying stop the preprocessor... modules support
no preprocessor after import... ok, then, why feature test
macros? They should be enums or constexpr but never a
preprocessor macro.
2.- the single thing that bothers me the most... initialization
is a mess, especially after adding {} vs (). With good intention,
but the cognitive overhead and room for surprises is too big.
3.- if constexpr cannot simply compete with static if. I
suggested adding: if constexpr that does not require a template
function, and some alternative if constexpr mechanism (I do not
care about the name or if it is a separate feature) that can
conditionally compile structs or block scopes a la version() in
D. This feature is needed to kill the preprocessor if they really
want to take that seriously, especially with modules on its way.

BTW, I have been trying a bit of D lately and I like how flexible
things such as opDispatch and static if are. I love modules as
well. I like a lot also the fact that you do not need to be
prefixing all things all the time because of potential hijacking.
The static reflection has also been useful for me. I was just
coding a SNES ROM parser but that was enough already to show some
of the advantages.