Is the following well defined and allowed?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 16:25:00 UTC 2018

On 3/2/18 10:26 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 02.03.2018 16:05, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> I.e., the -release flag should not remove assertions in @safe code,
>>> or at the very least it should not turn them into sources of UB.
>>
>> -release flag already operates this way.
>
> That's not what the spec says:
>
> https://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html#switch-release
>
> "Compile release version, which means not emitting run-time checks for
> contracts and asserts. Array bounds checking is not done for system and
> trusted functions, and assertion failures are undefined behaviour."

I misunderstood, yes, assertions are turned off in @safe code, but not
array bounds checking (which is what I thought you meant).

Yes, I think assertions should be kept in @safe code. It's weird to have
array bounds checks kept, but not assertions (which is how you would do
equivalent bounds checks in a custom type).

> Note that this is the only way to stop checking assertions. There is no
> option to just ignore them.

I'm not sure what the purpose of just ignoring assertions and not
contracts (which are made up of assertions anyway).

The boundscheck switch can control the bounds checking independently.

>> It's the -noboundscheck or -boundscheck=off that causes problems.
>>

> At least the specification advises to use caution:
>
> "off: Bounds checks are disabled completely (even in @safe code). This
> option should be used with caution and as a last resort to improve
> performance. Confirm turning off @safe bounds checks is worthwhile by
> benchmarking."

I suppose the one reason to use -boundscheck=off is to check if it does
save any performance, and then go in and manually use trusted escapes
for those where it counts.

I'd rather have it named, however, -boundscheck=unsafe.

-Steve