What's the deal with _postblitRecurse?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 20:02:20 UTC 2018

On 3/2/18 2:45 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 02:23:14PM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> But I don't have a simple method to ascribe the blame to a specific
>> PR. Is the only way to look at the date then look at the log? Thanks.
>> -- Andrei
>
> This is how I usually do it:
>
> 1) Find the hash of the offending git commit, usually using git bisect
>     or git blame.
>
> 2) git checkout master; git log --graph | less
>     (In place of `less`, use any pager that has scrollback capability. Or
>     leave out the `| less` if the default pager invoked by git has
>     scrollback ability.)
>
> 3) Do a search for the commit's hash. Usually, this will be a commit
>     buried somewhere inside a series of commits in the offending PR.
>
> 4) Scroll up until you find the commit that merged the PR. The commit
>     message will contain the PR number.  Note that this is why you need
>     --graph in the call to git log, because otherwise commits from random
>     PRs will be interspersed together and there will be no easy way to
>     trace them.  Using --graph will give you a visual cue as to which
>     commits belong to the PR so that you can trace it to the merging
>     point, and it also does a topological sort, which tends to cluster
>     related commits together better than the default setting.
>
> There's probably a one-liner to do this, but I prefer using git log
> --graph because it also lets me see the context of the original commit
> and scroll around to see any other commits that might be relevant.

It's easier than that.

The git blame view in github shows it as this commit:

https://github.com/dlang/druntime/commit/f98a02142767d2d14b574cd381670dbd53b90d36

If you look in the upper left, it shows "master (#1181)", where 1181 is
the PR that merged it. Click on the "#1181" and it brings you to the PR.

-Steve