DIP 1006 - Preliminary Review Round 1

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Sun Mar 4 12:05:08 UTC 2018

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:30:31 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> The default is that they're all on. So to just have one on, first turn
> them all off then turn on the desired ones.

Would I be correct to interpret this as "turn them all off with -release"?

E.g., "dmd -check=in a.d" is unnecessary; it's equivalent to "dmd a.d"
"dmd -release -check=in a.d" turns off all checks except in contracts.

If adding any check turns everything else off, that seems strange; that
said, wouldn't -check=off be equivalent to -release? Do we need -check=off
and -check=on, since it just duplicates the -release toggle?

I do like adding the -check switch because it reads far more naturally than
-release=in, etc. But as far as readability, only using -check once
-release is passed to disable everything makes sense, as using -check
shouldn't disable other checks, and -release shows intention better than
starting with -check=off

--Ryan