DIP 1006 - Preliminary Review Round 1

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Mar 4 21:16:41 UTC 2018

On 04.03.2018 21:40, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/4/2018 4:05 AM, rjframe wrote:
>> Would I be correct to interpret this as "turn them all off with
>> -release"?
>
> Array bounds checking is left on with -release.

Not necessarily. If the code contains an explicit assertion that the
index is in bounds, then, according to the language specification, the
bounds check may be removed with -release.

I find the reasoning in terms of "on"/"off" confusing anyway.
Does "off" mean "contract/assertion removed", or does it mean "failure
is UB"?