Thinktank: CI's, compiler lists, and project automation

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Mar 5 07:42:40 UTC 2018

On 03/04/2018 02:05 AM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> On 03/03/2018 10:22 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>
>> You should get an email notification about failed builds [1] [2],
>
> Weird. Never worked for me. Will have to check into that.

Ahh, it looks like travis disregards the github email address (perhaps
it can't access it, or indirectly tell github to email me?), and the
only way to receive travis email notifications is to expose the desired
email address to the general public via either .travis.yml or the git
commit author.

(Un)fortunately, I have a far more effective, reliable method of
filtering spam than the "state of the art" gmail heuristics: I run a
mail server, create domain-specific email addresses, and delete any
accounts that get spammed (knowing full well who it was that leaked my
email). I was never stupid enough to configure git with a legitimate
email address I actually check...I have better things to do than fight
spam and regularly check some "spam folder".

Travis (not to mention Git itself) doesn't appear to support the
post-1980 reality of email, ie, "Publicly-posted addressed WILL be
spammed, hard"), thus, even though I get GitHub notifications just fine,
I haven't been getting notifications from travis even though its linked
to my github account.

</rant>