5000 Merged Phobos Pull Requests

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Mar 6 20:06:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 07:21:10PM +0000, Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Nine days ago, Phobos hit 5000 merged pull requests:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulls?page=201&q=is%3Apr+is%3Amerged+sort%3Amerged-desc&utf8=✓
>
> Thats an average of 1.93 merged PRs per day (first PR merged on Jan
> 31, 2011).
>
> A huge thank you to everyone who made this happen.

Very nice!

One thing I would really like to see, though, is the reduction of the
average size of the Phobos PR queue. Last month when I had a spot of
free time I was diving into the deep end of the "cesspool", so to speak,
of old Phobos PRs that have been languishing in the queue for far too
long.  With some effort, we managed to get the queue down to <100.  I
wanted to drive it down further, but then got busy with other things and
haven't been able to work on Phobos PRs much since.  Sadly, the queue
has clogged back up to the 100+'s, with no end in sight. :-(

It would be nice if somebody, or preferably a group of somebodies, would
take on the task of digging into the deep end of the Phobos PR queue and
either kick them back to life, revive them, or decide they're not worth
the effort and close them.  Having a PR sit in there forever with no
sign of when / whether it will ever be merged is a big morale killer.

You don't need commit privileges to contribute; there are plenty of
other ways to help, like pinging the submitter if he's gone missing, or
pinging Phobos devs if people seem to have forgotten about perfectly
good work, or taking a look at the code and pointing out obvious / not
so obvious issues.  Or simply just pinging people (esp. @andralex :-D)
and making yourself a nuisance if a PR seems stuck for no good reason.

While understandably Andrei would hesitate handing out commit rights too
easily, having a larger group of people help in these other ways would
greatly help improve Phobos. (And if you get busy enough, Andrei might
notice and give you commit rights. ;-) Which would help with our
manpower problem.)

Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals could believe them. -- George Orwell