Why not flag away the mistakes of the past?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 7 17:17:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 04:29:33PM +0000, Seb via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 14:59:35 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > On 3/7/18 1:00 AM, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > Note, autodecoding is NOT a feature of the language, but rather a
> > feature of Phobos.
> >
> > It would be quite interesting I think to create a modified phobos
> > where autodecoding was optional and see what happens (could be
> > switched with a -version=autodecoding). It wouldn't take much effort
> > -- just take out the specializations for strings in std.array.
> >
> > -Steve
>
> Well, I tried that already:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5513
>
> In short: very easy to do, but not much interest at the time.

Argh... this really struck a nerve.  "Not much interest"?!  I think a
more accurate description is every passerby going "that looks dangerous
and I don't have enough time to spare to look into it right now, so
better just leave it up to somebody else to stick their neck out and get
beheaded by Andrei later", resulting in nobody taking apparent interest
in the PR, even though many of us *really* want to see autodecoding go
the way of the dodo.

EMACS = Extremely Massive And Cumbersome System