DConf hotel poor QoS

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Mar 9 17:07:50 UTC 2018

On Friday, March 09, 2018 15:26:24 Luís Marques via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I'm not impressed with the conference hotel so far. Here's a
> summary of my interactions with them:
>
> Feb-6: I send an email to reservierungen at nh-hotels.com with the
> keyword D-Conf in the subject line, as indicated in the
> conference page. I ask for a reservation between 30-04-2018 and
> 6-05-2018 (6 nights), since it was cheaper to stay an extra
> night, as the plane ticket that day was less expensive.
>
> Feb-9: I get an email asking to which hotel I would like to
> reserve. I hadn't notice it was a chain of hotels, but I'm
> surprised the special keyword didn't let them determine that
> automatically. I reply that I want a reservation for the NH
> München Messe, with the DConf conference special rate.
>
> Feb-13: I send them an email saying I continue to await their
> reply.
>
> Feb-14: They reply with a proposal. They have a different rate
> for 30.04.2018, because that's not included in the conference
> special. Fine. Here I had some other expenses on my credit card,
> so I decide to wait some days for that to sort out.
>
> Feb-20: They reply again with a seemingly similar email (not
> really! more on that later).
>
> Feb-21: I reply to confirm that I want to book. I send them my CC
> number and name, and ask if they need the CVV too.
>
> Feb-23: They say they need the expiry date. (why didn't they just
> say what CC details they needed in the original email?...). I
> reply with the needed data.
>
> Mar-1: I ask if my reservation has been made
>
> Mar-2: They confirm my reservation. Unfortunately, it seems that
> on the Feb-20 email they had changed the reservation dates to
> "From 01.05.2018 to 05.05.2018 and from 05.05.2018 to
> 06.05.2018". I hadn't noticed that. So one night is missing. I
> reply to them explaining the situation and asking for a change.
>
> Mar-9: I send them an email saying I continue to await a
> correction to my reservation.

I had similar problems (though they never asked for my CC number via e-mail,
and I don't know what I would have done if they had, since I won't give that
via e-mail). After I _finally_ got an e-mail with a reservation number, and
they'd screwed up the dates, rather than play more e-mail tag, I called one
of the numbers listed in that e-mail and (after getting passed around a fair
bit) managed to talk to someone who could speak and English and fix my
reservation - and who I could ask how I was supposed to pay, since they'd
never asked for any form of money in any of the e-mails i got sent (so I
gave my CC number over the phone). I don't know what their normal rates are,
so I don't know how much money going through this process saved me, but I
suspect that it would have been far easier to just book the room through
their website and pay the extra money than deal with playing e-mail tag and
then getting passed around on the phone until I managed to get to the right
person to fix my reservation. I did finally get it all sorted out though.

- Jonathan M Davis