Remember when make -f posix.mak just worked for dmd from zip?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:17:55 UTC 2018

I do. It was a long, long time ago, but it was a glorious age
when you could hack on dmd with ease. Just download the zip, cd
dmd/src/dmd and make. Seconds later, you'd have a new dmd binary.

But then the dark times came.

dmd/globals.d(362): Error: file "VERSION" cannot be found or not
in a path specified with -J

The compiler barked.

make: *** No rule to make target
`../generated/linux/release/64/SYSCONFDIR.imp', needed by
`../generated/linux/release/64/dmd'.  Stop.

The make program howled.

Fine, I'll play your game, the hacker asserted and did create the
files but the shell hissed

/bin/sh: ../config.sh: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target
`../res/default_ddoc_theme.ddoc', needed by
`../generated/linux/release/64/dmd'.  Stop.

It might be boost licensed now, but it has moved further away
from the most basic principle of free software: that the source
actually works.