Remember when make -f posix.mak just worked for dmd from zip?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Mar 12 13:14:08 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 March 2018 at 12:30:48 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 12 March 2018 at 12:27:42 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> https://dlang.org/download.html
>
> specifically I grab the linux tarballs
> http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2.x/2.079.0/dmd.2.079.0.linux.tar.xz
>
> and just cd dmd2/src/dmd and make -f posix.mak
>
> this always worked perfectly a year or two ago, then it broke
> when they added the new ddoc theme and now the version is
> missing too.

Out of interest: Why would you compile the compiler from the
release sources? After all, it's the binary release bundle and
not the development build. Also there are tools like digger that
automate everything for you...

I understand that sometimes it can be nice to do that, but imho
you are making a big deal out of this, while it's not really one
in practice as you can simply fetch the source from GitHub.
Also there is no CI for the release builds and there's only one
person who can build them (Martin) as it requires virtual
machines for all supported OSes. Martin does an amazing job, but
there's only so much one person can do...