Remember when make -f posix.mak just worked for dmd from zip?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Mar 12 14:25:38 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 March 2018 at 13:54:08 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> It used to work to just `cd dmd2/src/dmd && make -f posix.mak`.
> Most the files are still there, implying it is supposed to
> still work, but it fails because of trivial things like VERSION
> being in the wrong directory (the file IS actually there, just
> not where -J looks for it), and the ddoc file not being
> included (it is apparently in a directory not bundled).
>

> This is arguably a regression

Yes, it's because VERSION is now auto-generated.

> And it leaves me with little confidence that you actually fixed
> the historically-much-MUCH-more-difficult git build

Well, as you noticed the layout in release archives is a bit
different to the original git source.

>  when the zip build that historically have just worked is now
> broken....

I'm super-confident in this. We have too many CIs that all `git
clone` the dmd repo on _every_ PR.

```
git clone https://github.com/dlang/dmd
cd dmd
make -f posix.mak
```

FWIW at the moment we have six different CIs for dmd which are
all passing nicely on master:

https://circleci.com/gh/dlang/dmd/tree/master
https://semaphoreci.com/dlang/dmd-2
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/greenify/dmd