Remember when make -f posix.mak just worked for dmd from zip?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Mar 12 16:39:13 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 02:15:23PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> It actually concerns me that the phobos repo knows about the dmd repo.
> I really think dmd/druntime/phobos are so tightly coupled it doesn't
> even make sense to have them as separate repos, since you can't really
> do anything in one without the other two being in the same state.
[...]

This has been a long-standing problem. It has been this way for
historical reasons, and so far nobody has been able to come up with a
sane way of fixing the problem. There have been diverse proposals in the
past but nobody has been able to push it through.

Personally, I don't even dare to look into it, because it opens up a
gigantic can of worms about repo integration, build system preferences,
gmake vs. vanilla make, and lots of politics about not fixing what's not
broken, etc..  Not to mention coordinating such a change with existing
devs who will inevitably be unhappy that the current way they work will
no longer work, and all the CIs and other automatic builds that have
come to depend on the way things are currently done.  I don't have the
kind of patience (nor time!) it takes to push through with that kind of
change.

The trouble with TCP jokes is that it's like hearing the same joke over and over.