rvalue types

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 18:00:02 UTC 2018

On 3/12/18 9:59 AM, Simen Kjærås wrote:

> Is this an interesting concept? Are there other use cases I haven't
> covered? Can this be done with existing language features? Are there
> problems I haven't foreseen?

Very interesting idea.

So if I could rephrase to make sure I understand: An rvalue type is one
that you can never assign to a variable. As soon as you try to "store"
it somewhere, it becomes a new type that is returned by its "get" function.

In this case, once it gets passed into any function that is *not* a
member function, it decays to the designated type?

I think this would solve the issue, and help with the property debate,
but it would have to trim out all the intermediary stuff. I wonder
instead of types which you don't want to exist anyway, you could find a
better way to formulate this.

-Steve