D course material

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:30:13 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 21:12:16 UTC, David Gileadi wrote:
> On 3/13/18 2:08 PM, aberba wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 17:20:57 UTC, Meta wrote:
>>>
>>> Honestly I'd recommend TDPL. It's got a lot of good
>>> real-world examples, including some OOP ones, but more
>>> importantly examples that demonstrate concurrent programming,
>>> generic programming, procedural, and I think a few functional
>>> examples as well. Basically, it covers a very broad area in
>>> one book while also teaching you D.
>>
>> Boring stuff IMO.
>
> Interesting that you found it boring--I found it to be the
> opposite. It is one of the few programming books that I can
> read for enjoyment.

The D Programming Language (TDPL) is a big book so it will be
boring. I used it whilst learning about the complete features of
D (mostly just reading like story book though). So we all read
just like you said:

> It is one of the few programming books that I can read for
> enjoyment.

But its not one you would want to use for courses (short time).

Its different however, when you're using them to solve real-world
problems that are actually real-world i.e. you justify why such
feature needs to be used. Then its not boring. Quite often than
not, such courses mostly bombard you with the theories.