Do we need Mat, Vec, TMmat, Diag, Sym and other matrix types?

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:06:47 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 at 16:16:55 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Has row-major fallen into disuse?
> [snip]

C has always been row major and is not in disuse (the GSL library
has gsl_matrix and that is row-major). However, Fortran and many
linear algebra languages/frameworks have also always been column
major. Some libraries allow both. I use Stan for Bayesian
statistics. It has an array type and a matrix type. Arrays are
row-major and matrices are column major. (Now that I think on it,
an array of matrices would probably resolve most of my needs for
an N-dimensional column major type)