Do we need Mat, Vec, TMmat, Diag, Sym and other matrix types?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Mar 14 17:36:18 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 at 17:22:16 UTC, Sam Potter wrote:
> Ideally data structures and algorithms covering this would be
> in the standard library?

I sure hope not. At least not for a long time anyway. It would be
hard to make any progress if it were in the standard library. At
this stage functionality is more important than having a tiny
amount of code that is written perfectly and has satisfied the
824 rules necessary to get into Phobos.

> This comment is coming from someone who has been sitting by the
> edge of the pool, waiting to hop in and check out D as a
> replacement for a combination of C++/Python/Julia/MATLAB for
> research in scientific computing. Take all this with a grain of
> salt since I haven't contributed anything to the D community.
> :^)

What has been holding you back from using D? I've experienced no
difficulties, but maybe I've been lucky.