DConf 2018 - The touristy bits

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Mar 15 11:33:50 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 11:23:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 at 23:54:53 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 3/13/2018 4:19 AM, Chris wrote:
>>> I will probably not be able to make it to DConf this year.
>>> But here are some tips for those who are interested in
>>> history and / or sight-seeing:
>>
>> Thank you, most appreciated!
>
> You're welcome. In case anyone has any questions, I'll be glad
> to help, if I can.
>
> Here are some tips regarding public transport:
>
> Overview:
> https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/tickets-and-fares/tickets-daytickets/index.html
>
> For sight-seeing, I'd recommend the CityTourCard:
>
> https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/tickets-and-fares/tickets-daytickets/citytourcard/index.html#c12632
>
> And here's the general website (time tables, real time):
>
> https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/
>
> To get from the airport to your hotel, take the *S8 via
> Ostbahnhof* (~30min). Be aware though that the vending machines
> at the airport that are run by the Deutsche Bahn (DB) (German
> Rail) are abominable and awkward to use (e.g. one ticket at a
> time). The price is €11.20 or €11.60 or more by now, valid only
> for one journey (no return). I think €50 notes are not
> accepted. Maybe you can get it online with a discount. There's
> an app for sure.
>
> In any case _read the information regarding the tickets
> carefully_. The Munich transport system, although very
> effiecient, is a bit weird when it comes to ticket validation
> etc. You are not checked at the station but they have plain
> clothes inspectors that perform random checks.

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 11:23:57 UTC, Chris wrote:

Here's what the Hotel says, but please do check out the fares, I
don't trust them when they say it's only €2.80 for a single
ticket. The thing is that the airport is far away (4 "zones") and
€2.80 only covers 1 "zone", afaik. 4*€2.80 = €11.20 more likely!
So be careful and check it out on the website I included in my

"Train: Take the S8 from the Munich Airport, which departs every
20 minutes, to get to the station "Daglfing". The hotel is
located in a walking distance from about 15 minutes to reach the
hotel. It's a 30 minutes trip. You can choose between a single
ticket (2,80€), a day ticket (6,60€) or a ticket for a week
(15,00€). Within the ticket price, you can take the train, as
well as the bus in the inner circle of munich centre.

Taxi: It's a 30 minutes trip, depending on traffic and cost
around 80€."