D beyond the specs

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Mar 16 15:14:08 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 14:50:26 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Well, Algol, Pascal, Oberon, Component Pascal, VHDL, Ada are
> all examples of programming languages successfully used in
> Europe, while having adoption issues on US.
>
> Even Delphi is still having regular conferences and magazine
> articles here in Germany.

Now that's interesting, so maybe there is a pattern or a quality
those languages have in common.

> Maybe we care more about enforced code quality? :)

Now, this an interesting point. Mind you, Python (forced
indentation) is also a European language. "Quick and dirty" is
more common in the US in the sense that they don't philosophize
about things but just do them and see what happens (that's why
they are often ahead of Europe when it comes to technology).
There are loads of good ideas that never made it past the
meetings, because they weren't "perfect" yet, while in the US
they just did it and improved it later. Is this also the reason
why D sometimes suffers from the "the perfect is the enemy of the
good" syndrome?

@Guillaume
Theories are always made up, else they wouldn't be _theories_ ;)