D beyond the specs

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Mar 16 16:02:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 15:14:08 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 14:50:26 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>
>> Well, Algol, Pascal, Oberon, Component Pascal, VHDL, Ada are
>> all examples of programming languages successfully used in
>> Europe, while having adoption issues on US.
>>
>> Even Delphi is still having regular conferences and magazine
>> articles here in Germany.
>
> Now that's interesting, so maybe there is a pattern or a
> quality those languages have in common.

Allow me to put on my economist hat and say you might be looking
for explanations when none are required. Much of programming
language adoption involves choosing languages others are using
(see, well, any conversation about programming languages if you
don't think it matters, or even the continued use of C++). There
doesn't have to be a reason to settle on a particular language.
Perfect example is the qwerty keyboard. There's nothing special
about a qwerty keyboard. That is the arrangement of keys that
some guy randomly chose many decades back. We continue to use
qwerty because that's what we use - not for any particular reason.