D beyond the specs

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:25:50 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 19:15:16 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

> The point is that there is no "fundamental" reason someone
> using a computer uses a qwerty keyboard. If you are to ask
> "what makes the qwerty keyboard the best choice for someone
> using a computer?" you are not going to have any luck finding
> the answer (or worse, you will find an answer after sufficient
> data mining). Similarly for programming language usage. There
> may have been perfectly good reasons for the early adopters of
> D, but it's not going to help to look for features of the D
> language that fit certain cultures better. It may be as simple
> as someone getting introduced to the D language because of a
> typo in a Google search.

Your "fundamental" reasons are more like "technical" reasons than
"economic" reasons.

Should a large company buy qwerty keyboards or some other kind?
Should a worker invest time in learning how to use a qwerty
keyboard or some other kind? Those are questions of economic
decision-making. The question that is relevant to decision-makers
is rarely about "what keyboard layout is best." Rather it is, how
much marginal benefit is there in investing time in learning to
use a qwerty keyboard vs. another kind and what do I have to give
up in order to obtain that benefit. If the marginal benefit of
learning the standard keyboard layout is larger than some other
kind and the cost is approximately the same, then everyone
(except some iconoclasts) are going to learn qwerty.

This sort of analysis applies to programming languages in exactly
the same way. If I'm a company, do I build products using
language X or language Y. If I'm a person, do I spend N hours
learning language X or language Y (or do the next best thing you
can do...March Madness?). What if I already know language X? Then
it's pure marginal cost to learn language Y. C programmers don't
just switch to D or Rust or whatever the moment they see it has
some "technical" features that are better. That's not what we
observe. The marginal benefit has to exceed the marginal cost.