D beyond the specs

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 08:48:45 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 14:50:26 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Well, Algol, Pascal, Oberon, Component Pascal, VHDL, Ada are
> all examples of programming languages successfully used in
> Europe, while having adoption issues on US.

There are some historical roots, I believe. In the 60s and 70s
computing was so expensive that government funding was a driving
force. Since each nation then also wanted to have their own
computing industry they favour national companies (and thus
employment), so each nation had their own CPU/hardware
architecture and eco system. And Europe has many many nations...
So quite a heterogenous computing environment... :-P

The US has a much bigger internal market and some key big players
early on ("nobody has been fired for picking IBM"). They also
have many large corporation that could sustain the cost of
establishing a commercial computing sector.

Not sure how that works out today, though, as there is no longer
a strong focus on national computing industries (unless you count
Apple and Microsoft as such). Asia has run away with the hardware
and development software has become less and less
proprietary/national each decade.

My perception is that there is a difference between academic
research oriented institutions and more rural engineering
institutions. The former would focus more on language qualities
(surprisingly University of Oslo is now switching from Java to
Python, probably because it used a lot in data analysis), while
the latter would focus more on business marketable languages
(C++).

Anyway, cultural change is slow. Even though the 70s is far away,
it still probably has an effect on culture and attitudes in
universities and the tech sector.

Also, since most applications are no longer CPU bound there
should be much more opportunity for trying new options today than
10-20 years ago.