D beyond the specs

Arjan arjan at ask.me.to
Sat Mar 17 11:28:57 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 19:27:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 4:44 AM, Chris wrote:
>> Would it be possible to find out at DConf in Munich why
>> exactly D is so popular in Germany (my impression) and in
>> other countries of Europe (and that general post code) like
>> France, Italy, GB, Romania and Russia etc.?
>
> My old company's product, Zortech C++, was also very popular in
> Germany, England, and Japan. I don't know why.

And a certain spot in the Netherlands, because at the time it
outperformed all the others like Borland Watcom IBM/visual-age
ms-visual-c++ and others at compilation speed and most of the
time in execution speed as well. Besides since we used multiple
compiler on our code base symantec/digitalmars often reported
violations were the other happily accepted the code (and produced
wrong code) And the incident response time from you was just
marvelous, reported an issue, next morning a fixed compiler
version in the emailbox!

Beside that, I really appreciated the so called IDDE and
accompanied srcs of libs. It was imo much much better than VC++
at the time. Have used it for a very long time even after
Symantec ditched it. (borland f***** up theirs by forcing the C++
builder upone us)