D beyond the specs

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at nospamlaeeth.com
Sat Mar 17 20:02:01 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 18:38:44 UTC, Aurélien Plazzotta
wrote:
> On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 11:44:59 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Would it be possible to find out at DConf in Munich why
>> exactly D is so popular in Germany (my impression) and in
>> other countries of Europe (and that general post code) like
>> France, Italy, GB, Romania and Russia etc.?
>
> To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no job offer in
> D programming in France. It is not even required/highlighted as
> a second/bonus skill to apply for a job.
>
> Perhaps it is used within a research and development department
> of very few companies for very specific tasks but it's unheard
> of and the mentalities of top management won't change before
> long because we are a retarded population who needs a lot of
> safety nets and huge amounts of guarantees to actually to take
> action...
>
> Also, french citizens don't like taking financial and
> technological risks, now adopting D for profesionnal use is a
> big one.

And yet in Paris lives a man, presumably a French citizen, who
was working on a cryptocurrency scaling startup last dconf and
that ended up being part of the path towards launching Bitcoin
Cash.  So some French citizens don't seem to mind taking risks or
trying new things, and if there is a dampening of entrepreneurial
spirits it might be the government and culture.  That's just one
example, but the outliers can often tell you more than those in
the centre of the distribution.

It seems like it's already beginning to change slowly.  It wasn't
long ago that speaking about the French startup scene was more
like the punchline to a joke.  Today it's something real and I
think will grow further from here.

Things change slowly in the beginning.  Top management aren't the
ones to start doing something creative unless they are a highly
unusual kind of firm.  It's people who can decide or who don't
need to ask anyone's permission that are the early adopters.

Anyway I asked Walter about why so many Germans in the D
community.  No final answer.  It's interesting that Walter is of
German descent.  A controversial topic, but in my experience what
you are from shapes who you are, how you think and what you
value.  And receptivity to a particular way of doing things isn't
uniform across the world.