D beyond the specs

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at nospamlaeeth.com
Sat Mar 17 20:17:17 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 17 March 2018 at 16:26:27 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> While France is all about status (titles, living well over your
> means), and people prefer to learn "high-status" languages, I
> guess this is the profile of late adopters everywhere.

Yes, status seems one of the most important things for normal
people.

But there's a repeating pattern in life.  A small group, drawn to
do something for intrinsic reasons starts to create something.
And they get no face because it seems completely unrealistic and
in truth the odds are very much against success.  But they create
something excellent because they care about intrinsic reasons and
not social factors.  And some people start to take notice, but
it's still more or less a fringe but interesting project.  And it
stays that way until the world changes, and changes in a way that
looks obvious with hindsight but nobody really expected at the
time.  At that point what's important changes and the project
starts to become popular.  Then people more ambitiously than
intrinsically motivated start to be drawn by what's now obvious
and the project starts to be popular, and yet with that
popularity comes a change in its nature and sometimes people
think back to the old days.

So I think that pattern might apply to D, and if that's right one
might as well focus on the challenges before one and enjoy the
benefits from the present makeup of the community.  Because as
adoption grows eventually the makeup will change too.

If you're good and care about what's important, eventually status
comes to you.  And now you've got more problems to worry about.
But life isn't about banishing problems, but overcoming them.