D beyond the specs

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 07:06:37 UTC 2018

On 03/17/2018 02:31 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

 > I don't know about compilers specifically, but the big distributors in
 > Europe charged some hefty margins on their imports. So pricing in US was
 > often much lower than here...

It may not be distributor greed: I was one of the founders of a
WordPerfect distributor in Turkey in around 1991. When retail price was
around $500, we were paying around $400 to WordPerfect when US consumers
were getting it for something like $120 at retail shops. (I cannot be
sure about the amounts after all those years.)

I don't know whether it was the US government rules or WordPerfect rules
but they simply could not sell us anywhere near what US consumers were
paying. $500 in Turkey is still an impossibly high price.

We survived for a while selling to large companies.

Ali