CTFE ^^ (pow)

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Mar 19 00:28:15 UTC 2018

On Monday, 19 March 2018 at 00:08:58 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 18 March 2018 at 17:00, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I want to just justify my apparent over-reaction... I think I'm
> not
> the only one that feels this way fairly often.
> Something that seems trivial only invokes over-reaction of this
> nature
> when there is sufficient emotional energy behind it.
> In my case, that is represented by investing a decade of my
> life into
> something based on the promise (**wishful thinking?) that it'll
> get to
> the point where I want it to be as a tool to do my work... but
> then
> slowly awakening myself to the reality that that's actually
> unlikely
> to happen, and the longer it takes, the less likely that
> eventual
> reality becomes.
> Perhaps it's breaking a delusion I imposed on myself years ago,
> but it
> still produces a feeling of being robbed of time and energy.
>
> Anyway, I suspect I'm not the only one that reaches this point
> and
> tends to feel this way. I've seen a lot of good people come and
> go
> after they 'burn out' in some way. Patience is finite.
> There's no action item here... just wanted to share a
> reflection, and
> perhaps there's some takeaway for the community with respect to
> priorities?

Perhaps the community simply has different priorities than you?
For example, my Android port has never gotten much use either,
which is fine as I primarily did that work for myself.

Nevertheless, you have to think of D as like working in a
startup: if you see something that you think needs doing, you
have to drive it yourself or it will never get done. Pretty much
the same for most any OSS project too.