CTFE ^^ (pow)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 01:26:46 UTC 2018

On 18 March 2018 at 18:15, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 March 2018 at 17:55, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> Perhaps the community simply has different priorities than you?
>>> For example, my Android port has never gotten much use either,
>>> which is fine as I primarily did that work for myself.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, you have to think of D as like working in a
>>> startup: if you see something that you think needs doing, you
>>> have to drive it yourself or it will never get done. Pretty much
>>> the same for most any OSS project too.
>>
>> I definitely agree with this. If the folks fixing stuff don't have the same
>> priorities as you, then there's a high risk that what you want to be fixed
>> won't get fixed, and that's often how things go with open source projects.
>
> And here it comes again!
> I understand the reality, and echo-ing statement sounds so good to the
> community... but it's a terrible opinion to propagate if the goal is
> for D to be successful.
> You're effectively saying "D is a hobby/toy, therefore you can't bank
> on it with confidence". If I weren't a deluded zealot, there's NO WAY
> I'd let my business invest in this technology when the crowd endlessly
> repeats this sentiment.
>
> So, while it IS a practical reality, there needs to be very strong
> motivation from the community (and organisation) to combat that
> practical reality.
> I would strongly suggest; never say a sentence like this again. It's
> the wrong attitude, and it gives an undesirable impression to users.
> (assuming the goal is for D to be successful, and not a fun hobby for
> the devs)
>
>> But at the same time, if you come to D, see all kinds of great things about
>> it, and think that it's going to be fantastic but keep running into things
>> that cause you problems when you try to use D, and then those pain points
>> don't get fixed even after years of dealing with the language, that's going
>> to be very frustrating - even more so if you've invested a lot of time and
>> energy into it.
>>
>> On some level, the only solution is to buckle down and fix your pain points
>> yourself, but that can also be quite frustrating.
>
> Or hire staff who are paid to work on 'boring' issues. I would make
> regular donations if I could be satisfied that my decade old issues
> would be addressed. I wonder how many others would too?

For what it's worth, I think I sound like nothing is moving ever, and
that's not actually the reality today at all. I so feel like momentum
has increased substantially recently on a number of fronts, but I'm
mostly a passive observer standing a bit off to the side somewhere.
I am constantly impressed and excited about all the work that's being
done here... I read the announcements, and think "yeah, I super can't
wait to get amongst that good stuff!! ...if only my project would be
un-blocked from the thing that blocked it 5 years ago".
In some way, I'm still waiting for the opportunity to do all the good
stuff with D that D can do (including Android ports!), but I'm usually
blocked by mostly boring trivia, and a couple of big things (ie, ARC).