CTFE ^^ (pow)

Norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:43:48 UTC 2018

On Monday, 19 March 2018 at 03:14:51 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

> Did they at any point tell us that it was a blocker for your
> company who was trialing D?
>
> Because I do not remember once in that time period of any one
> saying this.
>
> Walter has gone out of his way in the past to help companies,
> even flying to them on his own dime.
>
> If you want to be treated special, we need to have a reason for
> you to be treated special, otherwise you're just like everybody
> else complaining without giving back.

We don't want to be treated special. We don't want to give back.
This is the *entire* point.

D claims to be "Industry Proven and Ready" but we have to submit
PRs or get special treatment from Walter to use it effectively?
Sorry, but this is why many feel that D is still just a hobby
project.

We are an organisation trying to get work done. D was a potential
replacement of our existing C++/Python tool chain. Unfortunately
it *requires* us to give back, which as I stated is not our
business. Our business is the development of medical devices and
supporting application software, not compiler or language
development.

IMO most of D is close enough, but I am a convert and geek. Most
of my fellow developers are not.

Cheers,
Norm