Bachelor level projects

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Thu Mar 22 18:44:19 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 14:44:39 UTC, Alexandru Jercaianu
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At the Polytechnic University of Bucharest we are organizing a
> special program called CDL[1], where Bachelor students are
> mentored to make their first open source contributions.
>
> I think it's a great idea to involve D in this program, but for
> this to be successful, I need your help in finding ideas for
> Bachelor level projects, which can be solved until the end of
> May (anything from new features to more impactful bugs).
>
> If there is anything on your wish list which matches the
> criteria above, feel free to share.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex J

There's now also a bunch of projects at Phobos that can be used
for onboarding:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/projects

Bugzilla is also full of real goodies (from beginner bugs to new
features).
There's still the bootcamp tag.

Something that currently is vastly under-explored is DMD as a
library.
A simple project could be to use it generate C header files or a
more advanced version would be to use it to implement/kick-off a
tooling project.

Last, but not least, there's
https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2018_Ideas, but that's probably a bit
too big for their first contribution.

Also the State of D survey has a few responses:

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d

A few selected questions:

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018/blob/master/11c%3A%20What%20language%20features%20do%20you%20miss%3F%20(Other)

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018/blob/master/12f%3A%20What%20would%20you%20like%20to%20see%20from%20future%20Phobos%20(D's%20Standard%20Library)%20development%3F%20(Other)