CTFE ^^ (pow)

Jordan Wilson wilsonjord at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 07:35:49 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 March 2018 at 01:49:30 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 22, 2018 21:25:11 Nick Sabalausky  via
>> Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> An attitude like that and there's any wonder it didn't work
>>> out? Sheesh.
>>>
>>> This is the thing about OSS: The business willing to give
>>> back (and
>>> there are many such businesses) are the ones that reap
>>> benefits. The
>>> companies that wilfully cling to zero-sum bullshit are on
>>> their own, by
>>> their own choice, and open themselves to allowing their
>>> competitors to
>>> take the advantage for themselves. That is the way of the
>>> world, that is
>>> the way of reality.
>>>
>>> D can't be held responsible for self-defeating zero-sum, "us
>>> vs them"
>>> mentalities. Sheesh.
>>
>> While I do think that there's a lot to be said for companies
>> who are willing
>> to use open source and give back to the community in the
>> process, there are
>> plenty of people (and not just companies) who just want a tool
>> to get things
>> done. And I don't think that there's anything wrong with that.
>
> I agree. The problem is with saying "I want X, and I'm not
> willing to offer anything for it." And then wondering why it
> doesn't work out.

I suppose it's about finding that balance between growing the D
user base, and trying to get said user base to give back.

Say I was offered a car with no windscreen...I have 3 responses:
1. Cool! I'll put in a windscreen myself, as this car has a great
engine.
2. Thanks. This car does a great job getting from a to b, pity
about all these bugs flying in my face though. Wish I knew more
about windscreens.
3. No thank you, I'll just stick with the train. Nice spinner
rims, btw.

Regarding D, I fall into (2), but sometimes I wonder if catching
the train would be easier...