CTFE ^^ (pow)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:22:06 UTC 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 03:16, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 9:25 PM, Manu wrote:
>>
>> What is so hard about implementing a pow intrinsic that CTFE can use?
>

> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8071

Best PR this year!

>> It's one of those blocker bugs that's been there almost 10 years.
>

> It's one that seems to engender lots of comments, but no action.
>
> (BTW, there's a way to do it without the CTFE fix. One can use the approach
> I've always used in the past for C, which is write a separate program to
> generate the tables. This was used in the DMD build, and was gradually
> replaced with CTFE. It still exists in the backend, which is still in C++.)

Right, but then there's no reason to use D. When D undermine's its own
proposed usefulness, it loses against C++ every time, no competition.

In my experience, migration to D involves a series of case-studies,
typically demonstrating points of weakness for C++ (ie, tables of data
pasted in code), and how D seductively improves the situation. This is
exactly one of those cases, except you're confronted with a very
rude-awakening, and it's a powerful turn-off rather than a turn on.