CTFE ^^ (pow)

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Mar 23 19:25:54 UTC 2018

On Friday, March 23, 2018 12:13:58 Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 23 March 2018 at 12:02, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
>
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> > On 3/23/2018 11:14 AM, Manu wrote:
> >> This happened to me again on Tuesday this week...
> >
> > All bugzilla requires is a name and a password. It does not do any
> > verification. Heck, just type in xxx yyy and it'll work. This trivial
> > bit of effort makes it effective in preventing troll posts :-)
>
> Well, my colleague isn't a troll. A genuinely interested party, but
> he's not gonna go out of his way for it. I can't control the natural
> reaction that most people have to being confronted with a registration
> page.
> I'd suggest openauth, and people using their github accounts; I think
> that's what people expect. I mean, most people just expect the bug
> tracker to BE on github ;)

Really? I've dealt with relatively few projects that use github as a bug
tracker, and it's been my experience that most anything that's really
serious has its own bugtracker (usually some form of bugzilla) - though most
such projects predate github by a long shot. I'd think that signing up for a
bugtracker would be par for the course and that if anything, the fact that a
project was using github issues instead of its own bugtracker would imply
that it was small, which doesn't necessarily give a good impression -
especially for a compiler.

And with how simplistic github issues are in comparison to bugzilla, I don't
know why you'd want to use it other than the fact that you don't have to go
to the effort of setting up your own bugzilla. I'd certainly hate to see us
switch to github issues just because a few folks weren't willing to sign up
for a bugzilla account, though for whatever reason, some folks keep pushing
for us to switch over.

- Jonathan M Davis