CTFE ^^ (pow)

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Mar 23 20:48:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, March 23, 2018 13:38:38 Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 23 March 2018 at 12:25, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d
>
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, March 23, 2018 12:13:58 Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> >> Well, my colleague isn't a troll. A genuinely interested party, but
> >> he's not gonna go out of his way for it. I can't control the natural
> >> reaction that most people have to being confronted with a registration
> >> page.
> >> I'd suggest openauth, and people using their github accounts; I think
> >> that's what people expect. I mean, most people just expect the bug
> >> tracker to BE on github ;)
> >
> > Really? I've dealt with relatively few projects that use github as a bug
> > tracker, and it's been my experience that most anything that's really
> > serious has its own bugtracker (usually some form of bugzilla) - though
> > most such projects predate github by a long shot. I'd think that
> > signing up for a bugtracker would be par for the course and that if
> > anything, the fact that a project was using github issues instead of
> > its own bugtracker would imply that it was small, which doesn't
> > necessarily give a good impression - especially for a compiler.
> >
> > And with how simplistic github issues are in comparison to bugzilla, I
> > don't know why you'd want to use it other than the fact that you don't
> > have to go to the effort of setting up your own bugzilla. I'd certainly
> > hate to see us switch to github issues just because a few folks weren't
> > willing to sign up for a bugzilla account, though for whatever reason,
> > some folks keep pushing for us to switch over.
>
> I'm not suggesting switch to github. I've never suggested that. I
> understand it's inferior.
> I'm suggesting supporting openauth.

You mentioned that you thought that most people expected the bug tracker to
be be on github, which is why I said what I did. And whether you think that
it should be on github or not, there are others who like to bring it up from
time to time.

I have no idea what it would take to support openauth or what the pros and
cons of that would be. Personally, I _prefer_ to have separate logins for
things so that the risk of spam and whatnot is segregated and so that there
is less of a connection between sites that I use, but I also usually use a
different e-mail address for every site that I deal with so that I can more
easily filter my e-mail and know where e-mail addresses leak, and that's not
a typical thing for folks to do. I also use a password manager so that
having more passwords to worry about is not an issue, and while many folks
do that, many do not. But with what little I know of the situation with
openauth, I'm not aware of a reason why it would be a problem to enable it
in addition to normal logins - assuming that bugzilla makes it
straightforward anyway. I have no idea whether any version of bugzilla
supports it or not.

- Jonathan M Davis