Binding rvalues to ref parameters

Rubn where at is.this
Sun Mar 25 13:40:03 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 March 2018 at 12:51:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Filing a DIP is like filing a police report: once it's in the
> system, we're obligated to work on it. There's a guarantee of a
> response.

https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP36

Guess there's no point in writing another one then is there? Or
how many "police reports" do you need to file before the "police"
change their decision?

> I repeat: there is a GUARANTEED mechanism to get us to work on
> binding rvalues to ref parameters. GUARANTEED. This is so
> powerful, it's disconcerting. You need to get a DIP written in
> all detail, get it through community review, and then we have
> no choice but to look into it.

https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP66

"Approved conditionally"

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/3998

*crosses fingers* it's been 4 years but maybe this is the year
this actually happens.

Anyways there's a whole list of DIPs that didn't get any
attention, they were just dumped. I know a new DIP processes was
created but not even a quick pass through of the DIPS with some
comments of whether it would be worth migrating the DIP to the
new process or not. I mean there's one DIP that was accepted but
the PR implementing it has been sitting in the queue for 4 years.