Am I reading this wrong, or is std.getopt *really* this stupid?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Mar 25 16:50:33 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 25 March 2018 at 13:23:04 UTC, Rubn wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 March 2018 at 09:27:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 3/23/2018 10:55 PM, Chris Katko wrote:
>>> Last question though, is there any kind of list of features,
>>> and minor features and fixes that can or need to be done?
>>> Perhaps it already exists,
>> And here it is:
>>
>> https://issues.dlang.org/
>
> Not a very comprehensive list. Virtually all of those issues
> have no comment on them. If it's a feature request you might as
> assume it requires a DIP cause there's no reason to otherwise
> waste your time implementing the feature.

Well, first off - most of these issues are bug reports and would
obviously be pulled if fixed.
Also, bigger improvements to Phobos don't require a DIP - just
Andrei's approval.
There have been many discussions on this (a recent one:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.1298.1521583794.3374.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com), but in short it's going to stay like this, but you can easily shoot Andrei a mail _before_ doing something bigger at Phobos.

Now regarding language features, the DIP process has been
revamped:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/p95hjs$1nf$1@digitalmars.com

> Oddly enough there's almost no other way to get anyone's
> attention of whether a feature requires a DIP or not unless
> there's a pull request for the feature. So if you want a
> feature you almost have to risk wasting your time implementing
> it.

Improvements to the language will require a DIP. Sometimes (like
e.g. for a new trait) it's possible to get direct approval by
Walter/Andrei on GitHub, but the rule of thumb is that it needs a
DIP.

In doubt, you can discuss a new feature on Slack, IRC or this NG
here.

> It's not a very good system, but someone throws up some stats
> about how many issues get solved/pull requests get created per
> month and they conclude that it's working fine.

You aren't alone:

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018/blob/master/09c:%20What%2C%20if%20anything%2C%20do%20you%20dislike%20about%20D's%20issue%20process%3F

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018/blob/master/09d:%20What%2C%20if%20anything%2C%20has%20prevented%20you%20from%20opening%20an%20issue%3F

There are many improvements hopefully coming up to
issues.dlang.org in the near future:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/tneyowfjewrlrtnqsuvd@forum.dlang.org

If you have more specific ideas on what could be done to improve
issues.dlang.org, share them on #dlang_org in Slack, here or in
Bugzilla.

Note:
- Switch to GH issues is a common request and while I also fought
for that one (I even tested an automatic migration to GH), there
are quite some downsides with GH issue tracker and at the moment
the consensus is to give Mozilla's fork of Bugzilla a fair try
- "there are almost no comments" on issues isn't actionable, but
a system/idea to improve this would be.