Am I reading this wrong, or is std.getopt *really* this stupid?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:07:40 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 25 March 2018 at 06:58:50 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Yeah I have "dumb XYZ, roll my own" experience often too.
> As there are already many big libraries like `arsd` or `ae` out
> there, I don't think I'm the only one with these feeling.

In my case, there's very little overlap with what Phobos offers.
And in cases where there are, it is usually either 1) built on
top of phobos (e.g. my jsvar actually depends on std.json),
and/or 2) older than the Phobos offering, often significantly so.

Well, there's also a few explicitly redone functions like `to`
hidden inside my color.d, but that's a dependency bloat thing and
less relevant now that phobos is getting its own messy import web
under control (this came when importing the most trivial phobos
module would triple the build time and double the executable size
of all my gui apps, so the gui module tree in my libs were all
phobos free, and that did mean a few trivial reimplementations
but to!string(int) is like a five liner sooo easy trade there.
But now the situation is much better.)

But anyway, what Phobos does, it tends to do reasonably well in
my view (with a couple glaring exceptions). I kinda like
std.getopt. It isn't perfect and I could do better... but it is
there and it is good enough, so I defend it.

Phobos just doesn't even attempt most of what I need, so I also
have a LOT of reusable add-on code that i call the arsd repo
which is kinda part two of my personal D standard library :) .