D mentioned in Infoworld

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Mar 27 11:28:18 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 at 10:46:03 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 at 10:31:34 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 at 06:42:29 UTC, Anton Fediushin
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being
>> talked about." Oscar Wilde
>>
>> "There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own
>> obituary." Brendan Behan
>>
>> Well, maybe the odd person will keep D in the back of his/her
>> mind, also it says:
>>
>> "But it is a convenient way to taste managed memory and all of
>> the “new” concepts without leaving familiar tool chains and
>> losing the C library."
>>
>> So someone who's interested in that (plus C-interoperability!)
>> might give D a shot. I was one of them a long long time ago.
>
> Yes that is true, BUT it also gives the wrong portray of D,
> when in fact D could fit into most, if not all the categories
> listed, but it's portrayed as if it only fits for C/C++
> programmers and again not as something serious, but as a
> semi-useless toy.

I agree. However, these are misconceptions that D has had to live
with for years. It's hard to get rid of them. On the bright side,
D gets a mention while years ago it wouldn't even have made it
onto the list, which is a good sign, because it shows that D is
on the tech-radar. Apparently it is being talked about and
mentioned elsewhere in the tech-world and the author felt he
couldn't just leave it out.

Also, as this thread shows, people take the language descriptions
in the article with a grain of salt anyway (and rightly so!). So
I think, all things considered, it's a good sign that D got
mentioned. I remember, in the old days people would wonder why D
wasn't on lists like that at all. So there's some progress there.