D mentioned in Infoworld

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Thu Mar 29 12:54:12 UTC 2018

On Monday, 26 March 2018 at 17:49:18 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Monday, 26 March 2018 at 16:13:17 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Monday, 26 March 2018 at 15:52:11 UTC, Jean-Louis Leroy
>> wrote:
>>> ...as a "programming languages you should learn now" - albeit
>>> somewhat dismissively ;-)
>>>
>>> https://www.infoworld.com/article/3263395/application-development/the-programming-languages-you-should-learn-now.html
>>
>> Eh, never bad to be mentioned in articles like that, could
>> encourage some to try D.
>
> D should have been under the "if you know Java" and "if you
> know C#" too though.

I agree that this should be the case. But I can see the point of
the author saying D is something for C++ people to look into.

For C++ developers having some exposure to D might be a plus in
some job interview. For Java/C# developers this is not the case.
Almost certainly in any job interview the people have never heard
of a language named D. Being a Java developer some knowledge of
Scala or Kotlin are a plus. Eventually they will listen to you
for about half a minute why you like D. But in the end they will
prefer someone with some working experience with Kotlin or Scala.

IMHO, the core D people are into system programming and from
their background come from a C or C++ world. Also, it is hard to
comine Java/C# with D. In C# it is easy to call functions from a
dll or so file. In Java this will also be the case in some
upcoming JDK. Whatever, to call functions from dll or so file can
also be done using Rust or plain C or C++. In my geographical
surroundings here people will just stick to C or C++. Neither
Rust nor D would be considered.

So I don't want to spread negative attitude. But how to make D
useful for Java/C# is a difficult problem.