D mentioned in Infoworld

ElectronCharge dylan.fun at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 15:05:35 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 29 March 2018 at 13:39:25 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 3/26/18 11:52 AM, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
>> ....as a "programming languages you should learn now" - albeit
>> somewhat dismissively ;-)
>>
>> https://www.infoworld.com/article/3263395/application-development/the-programming-languages-you-should-learn-now.html
>>

> "If you’re programming in C or C++, you’re doing embedded
> stuff, drivers, or low-level stuff—or you’re just old"
>
> Ouch! Also, destroys any credibility of the author. Moving on...

Yes, this was an inane article... It also included the horrible
advice:

"Languages you should not learn today
[...]

Java
If you’re not a seasoned Java developer or planning to work for a
body shop like Wipro or Infosys, by the time you don’t suck in
Java your friends will have run rings around you careerwise in
JavaScript as “full-stack developers.”"

Er, a whole lot of backend code is not written in Javascript, and
for good reason. Java is near the top of of the heap as far as
hiring goes, and Java developers generally command a better
salary than front-end developers. Java is also pretty good to
work with today, Java 8 added a lot of nice functional features.

It's insane that Swift wasn't mentioned anywhere in the article.
It also left out some interesting, influential languages like
Haskell, Julia, Nim, Dart, Typescript and Clojure. I hope not too
many folks are basing decisions on that tripe.