A strategic vision for D

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Tue May 1 22:20:53 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 at 17:20:54 UTC, Ali wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 at 12:26:25 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I realize it's right before the conference, but I'd like to
>> put out a request for Walter and Andrei to spend five minutes
>> during your talks laying out some overarching strategy for how
>> you see D evolving. It could be during the keynotes or leading
>> off the Q&A panel, but I think it's worth laying a broad
>> strategy out there.
>
> For D's vision as set by D's core team
> check https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2018H1

In particular, I'd like to hear how the core team weighs:

   * making useful breaking changes vs maintaining backcompat, and

   * adding more features vs more simplification of the language.

> It is very clear, and feel free to read between the lines, on
> what might be the long term strategy
>
> I think point 1 in the vision is very telling
>> 1. Lock down the language definition

Sorry, I'm not understanding. To me that says the core team
values multiple implementations that adhere to the same spec.
Does it imply something else?