D as a college language

Sjoerd Nijboer sjoerdnijboer at gmail.com
Fri May 4 11:35:22 UTC 2018

So i'm a college student in and what bothers me is that there
seem to kind of assume programming languages don't evolve or
don't get replaced by better ones.
Right now if you go to college you'll most likely get tought c++,
c# or java for any comp sci degree. While these languages are
industrial standards, they all have their drawbacks. And one
drawback that looks important for teaching is flexibility in
expressiveness.

 From my experience college students seem to have problems
translating their often declarative thought process into actual
semi compile-able code that runs in a given language.
Since D seems to be a language that supports a lot of programming
paradigms very well, wouldn't it be beneficial to learn people
declarative programming using D for a little and from there
expose them to other programming styles in thesame language to
lower the barrier of entry?

I think D could play a bigger role in education since its such a
"clean" language that is flexible but doesn't have any real
gotcha "features". Its also a language that could potentially be
used over someones entire college career as the primary language.
If this would be achieved there would be a higher income flow
into the industry of young D programmers which will pollute other
programmers with the D mind and featureset.