D as a college language

Sjoerd Nijboer sjoerdnijboer at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:00:43 UTC 2018

On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 11:37:58 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> First we need adoption, then maybe we can start designing a
> course to help get them going.

Even with adoption, I think the exposure of D and its
capabilities to teachers is too small for them to notice unless
it is exposed to them as a new learning strategy for their
students. After all, teaching is a difficult and time consuming
skill and in my personal experience consumes almost all of the
time a teacher has. Leaving very little time over for a teacher
to explore new technologies such as D and design new courses
around them. No teacher I know knows of the existence of D. And
when I tell them they assume it is not important to learning
computer science.

Therefore I was thinking something more along the lines of a set
of free open source courses which use D to learn certain aspects
programming and programming related subjects. That would most
likely not draw in a lot of new programmers who start programming
on their own. They tend to stick to the popular languages.
Instead it would offer teachers who are looking for new new
teaching material some material that is closely coupled to other
material with a small set of technologies. Thus not forcing
students to learn a new language every other course. I hope that
that would invite teachers to use D as a language for learning.

On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 11:52:36 UTC, bauss wrote:
> To the one hiring the person with 7 years of experience seem
> like a better choice, just because they generally have no idea
> what D is and what it offers. They don't know that if you
> program in D you can usually program very well, if not better
> than most general Java developers __when__ using Java. All they
> know is that they use Java and they're looking for the one with
> most experience in that field.
>
> Until D becomes an industrial requirement, then it will not be
> taught.
>
> That's why D is a hobby language.

Unfortunately true.
It just seems like a missed opportunity.