D as a college language

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat May 5 11:32:47 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-05-05 at 23:16 +1200, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> You're forgetting one crucial detail. The people making the decisions
> now, are not the same ones back then.

Not forgetting at all, but may be didn't make the point as well as I should.

All universities are not the same. There are the leaders and there are the
followers. Follower university departments emphasise job opportunities much
more than leader university departments. The old university/polytechnic split
in the UK used to highlight this very well. Leader departments value pedegogy
and concepts much more than follower departments. Sadly in many cases this got
labelled as "academic" vs "practical" which remains a very unfortunate way of
categorising things.

> I have repeated what I was told using all the same arguments presented
> in this thread and I am only relaying it here their response. It isn't
> my opinion.

Understood. I will always say job opportunities is a secondary factor, just
not a primary one. Except that in some follower departments they do not accept
this, they are more about training and less about education. For them job
opportunities are everything: training not education.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200