D as a college language

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun May 6 06:06:15 UTC 2018

On 06/05/2018 1:35 PM, Seb wrote:
> On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 11:35:22 UTC, Sjoerd Nijboer wrote:
>> So i'm a college student in and what bothers me is that there seem to
>> kind of assume programming languages don't evolve or don't get
>> replaced by better ones.
>> Right now if you go to college you'll most likely get tought c++, c#
>> or java for any comp sci degree. While these languages are industrial
>> standards, they all have their drawbacks. And one drawback that looks
>> important for teaching is flexibility in expressiveness.
>>
>> [...]
>
> @ everyone in this discussion: you ask and answer the wrong question.
> The question needs to be:
>
> "What can we do or improve upon to allow D playing a bigger role in
> education?"

The answer to that is simple:

We need to create a couple of qualifications.

1) Hard CS theory meant for existing developers in industry
2) Introduction to programming covering most aspects that they would face

Make the material, make the path ways, and make it simple for institutes
and standard bodies to adopt.

We cannot do this alone. We need help. We need professional institutes
like ITP to assist us in our cause of teaching the next generation of
programmers (D is just a tool in this goal).